Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sugar is Sweet but Agave is better! Manda makes Apple Fritters.



So, back to the kitchen go I.  Have I mentioned how much I love apple pie, apple fritters, apple cobbler, apple muffins ... you get the idea.  On the hunt for a satisfying treat that was sugar free, I found one that is also dairy free -- so, a two-fer -- so both Maddy and I could enjoy them. 

While sister Maille has more familiarity with Agave, I figured I could give it a whirl as well.  What apples?  Granny Smith have just the right amount of tartness and they need to hold up and not turn to mush.  I also peeled the apples and while the original recipe called for milk, almond milk was substituted and made them just right.  They were just sweet enough to satisfy my sweet craving and they grab and go on the way to tennis really well.  These were stupendous.  Serve them hot -- or if you have any left after the first go around, just heat them in the microwave for 15-20 seconds.


I should note the original recipe is from Apron of Grace. 
Ingredients
  • 1 cup Unbleached All Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 2 Egg Whites
  • 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup or Honey (I used Agave)
  • 2 Egg yolks
  • 1 & 1/3 cups Milk (I used almond milk)
  • 1 teaspoon Olive Oil or Butter (I used olive oil instead of butter)
  • 1 & 1/2 cups Apples, cubed
Instructions
  1. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Beat egg white until stiff and beat in maple syrup or honey.
  2. Without washing beater, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored and add milk and oil or butter.
  3. Stir in flour mixture. Fold in egg whites and then apple cubes.
  4. Spoon into greased cupcake/muffin tins and bake at 375°F for about 15 minutes.
  5. Serve hot with maple syrup.

Look at that beauty!  It was fabulous.

1 comment:

  1. You can add maple syrup or honey on top! I put agave nectar!

    ReplyDelete