Friday, February 17, 2012

Did someone say Granola?

Manda loved the granola we bought in Stowe, Vermont at Christmas.  The request was simple -- make me some granola. Without making any purchases, I made granola an hour ago.  I now wonder why anyone buys granola since it costs a lot at Whole Foods or the Fresh Market.  I purchased nothing.  I had everything in the house -- which is the big indicator of what you put in your granola.  Whatever kinds of nuts and dried fruit you purchase the most should find their way into the granola.  Here is the recipe I ended up with.  The house smells lovely, and if I do say so myself, it's the best granola I've had in years.  I should note that there is a scant amount of sugar in this recipe.  Honey probably could be substituted.

Nuts, maple syrup, brown sugar, orange rind, dried cranberries (leftover from Christmas), oats and cinnamon.


















The recipe is simple. 

Pecan-Orange Granola with Dried Cranberries

1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
4 t. vanilla extract
2 1/2 t. cinnamon
2 T orange zest
1/2 t. salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (no, not instant or steel cut!)
2 cups pecans, chopped
2 cups mixture of dried cranberries and dried cherries (it was what I had -- definitely golden raisins, apricots, dried blueberries could be substituted or even mixed to form the 2 cups.)

  1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Whisk maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, grated orange zest, vanilla, and salt in large bowl.  Whisk in oil.  Fold in oats and nuts until thoroughly coated.
  3. Transfer oat miture to prepared baking sheet and spread across sheet into thin, even layer.  Press down with spatula until mixture is quite compact. 
  4. Bake until lightly browned, 40 to 45 minutes.  Turn baking sheet half way through.  Remove granola from oven and cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 1 hour.  Break cooked granola into pieces and then stir in dried fruit.  It should keep in an air tight container for two weeks -- unless you live with roommates who eat it all.




So, back to the store to replenish the nuts, the dried fruit and the maple syrup.  Or maybe I should just go back to Vermont.

1 comment: